Best dog food for chihuahua
One of the small breeds that possess a great personality is none other than Chihuahua. These cute four-legged buddies need high-quality foods. Be sure that you make your little furry canine happy with nutritious foods. Right balanced food can maintain the overall health of the Chihuahua breeds
Provide your canine friend with tasty and balanced diet-based foods. We have a list of food specially crafted for Chihuahuas in the market. Let us have a look at the top five. best pet food for Chihuahuas
Best Foods for Chihuahuas
1. Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult Recipe
A recipe that has high nutritional values crafted for small breeds like Chihuahuas is the Blue Buffalo recipe. With real meat as the primary ingredient, high protein content from the chicken gives strength to the developing muscles. The other ingredients like grains, fruits, and vegetables give high nourishment to the dog. The formulated food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates that make your dog active throughout the day.
The kibble size exactly fit the small jaws of the tiny little pup. The availability of vitamins and antioxidants will enhance the immune system’s function. The recipe is absolutely free from grains like corn, wheat, or artificial preservatives.
Chicken(deboned), brown rice, oatmeal, and barley.
|Weight in pounds||15|
- Availability of additional supplements like glucosamine and probiotics.
- Kibble size is apt for small jaws and helps in tartar removal
- Antioxidants boost the immune system
- At times, some dogs might get into the trouble of digesting the kibbles.
2. Wellness CORE Small Breed
The wellness CORE guarantees high-level protein and calorie content to satisfy the demands of an active dog. A balanced recipe made of wholesome grains will give power-packed energy to the dog, Also, the formulated food has optimum levels of amino acids, fatty acids like omega 3 and 6, probiotics, and supplements like taurine. The core-plus of the Wellness food brand is the option of grain food and grain-free food. You can purchase pet food based on the health requirements of the dog.
Turkey meal, chicken meal, Turkey (deboned), Potatoes, and peas.
|Brand||Wellness Natural Pet Food|
|Weight in pounds||4|
1.Great choosing options based on the specific dog’s health requirements
- Kibbles formulated with handpicked ingredients is easy for eating
- A perfect blend of natural sources gives a healthy weight.
- Some dogs don’t like the taste of the food.
3. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Small Breed
Pet food packed with a blend of real beef that has a high protein to maintain a healthy body of the dog is Blue Buffalo Wilderness Small Breed. The tasty, as well as healthy ingredients of the recipe, meet the energy demands of the wild dog. The food is crafted with the finest ingredients that can supply essential levels of vitamins and minerals. Like other brand foods, Blue Buffalo also focuses on giving grain-free foods.
Deboned beef, Chicken Meal, Peas, Tapioca, and Turkey meal.
|Weight in pounds||4|
- A perfect blend of red meat helps in maintaining lean muscles
- The kibble size is perfect for small jaws
- Contains no added fillers and preservatives
- Randomly, some dogs don’t like the aroma and taste of the food.
4. Canidae Pure small Breed
A recipe that can give high nutrition value with limited ingredients is the Canidae Pure dry dog food. With real meat as the premium ingredient, this packed kibble can provide a high-calorie profile to the dog. The presence of omega fatty acids gives a glow to the skin. The crafted food is free from grain especially for dogs having sensitive stomachs.
Chicken, peas, lentils, menhaden fish meal, and potatoes.
|Weight in pounds||4|
- Minimal ingredients with high nutrition content
- The recipe is free from artificial fillers and flavors
- Grain-free food for dogs having difficult digestion
- High fiber content might cause digestion problems for some dogs.
5. Nutro Wholesome Essentials adult small breed dry dog food
Food packed with high fiber content and nutrient-rich ingredients to maintain the good health of the dog is the Nutro wholesome essential dry dog food. The recipe is made with chicken and other ingredients like oatmeal, brewers rice, peas, and barley. The other highlight of the recipe is the omega fatty acids that promote glowing skin.
Chicken, chicken meal, Brown rice, peas, and barley
|Weight in pounds||15|
- Right nutrition food with high fiber content
- Natural source of ingredients. For example, farm-raised chicken
- Promotes good digestion and healthy skin
- Some dogs might don’t like the smell of the food.
6. Merrick grain-free small breed recipe
A small breed recipe that never disappoints to give perfect balanced nutrition for dogs is the Merrick grain-free food recipe. The formulated food is crafted with choosy ingredients like beef and chicken. In addition to this, the ingredients like sweet potatoes, blueberries promote the immune system. The fatty acids provide a shiny coat to the skin.
Beef, chicken, sweet potatoes, salmon, and blueberries.
|Weight in pounds||11.9|
- The recipe consists of probiotics and prebiotics
- An optimum level of proteins and fats maintains ideal weight
- Glucosamine and chondroitin strengthen the muscle joints.
- It is not recommended for weak dogs.
7. Nature’s Variety Instinct raw boost chicken meat formula dry dog food
A perfectly balanced food from Nature’s variety contains optimum levels of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. The added supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin help in the development of strong bones. It contains ingredients like broccoli and blueberries to promote immune system functionality.
Chicken, Peas, broccoli, and blueberries
|Weight in pounds||0.8|
|Item form||Dry, freeze-dried|
1.Good pet food for chihuahua prone to allergies
2. Boosts the immune system
3. Recommended for fussy eaters
1.Too much protein might cause some health issues
- Fewer Antioxidants levels compared to other brands
Feeding interval for Chihuahua
The standard number of calories that a Chihuahua can intake in a day is 200 calories. But most dog food contains excessive calories per cup. So, it is wise to reduce the size of the cup and feed the pup at regular intervals like three to four times a day.
Factors considered while selecting food for Chihuahua
- Chihuahuas are tiny animals with smaller jaws. It is important to feed the dog with a smaller size kibble for easy chewing and digestion.
- As we told earlier, Chihuahuas are prone to digestive problems. Bloating is very common among the small breed. Hence, ensure the selected food does not contain any artificial flavors and preservatives
- Add foods with high fatty acid content to the cart. This is because omega 3 and 6 can promote a good immune and digestive system, plus gives a shiny coat to the skin of the furry baby.
Health problems in Chihuahua
Chihuahuas weigh around 6 pounds. The compressed skeleton body must be fed with high nutrition otherwise it might get affected by many diseases like hypoglycemia, heat, and eye problems
Foods to avoid
By-products lack protein content. In fact, they are the reason behind allergies in Chihuahuas.
Dark chocolate contains theobromine which is alerted to be poisonous and can initiate nausea and diarrhea in dogs
Bread products like pizza, a burger can cause food poisoning the dogs
1. Garlic and Onions
Unlike human foods, the garlic and onion content in dog foods causes anemia.
2. Artificial flavors
The primary job of the artificial flavors is to temp the dog to try more food thus leading to overfeeding. As a result, the dog might get affected by health-related issues.
Summing up things together, you might have got an overall idea about the Chihuahua breed and how to feed them. Although all the products of this article are topnotch, only you will decide the brand which can suit best your little canine friend. Before trying out anything new, consult a vet for a suggestion. Your dog needs only small quality food. Make sure the plate is full of nutrition for a strong body.