Best dog food for weight loss
In today’s world, people trust and love dogs more than fellow humans. But the way we express our love towards the dog is by offering treats and snacks. Obviously, too much of everything is good for nothing, right?
Unlike natural health risks like digestive problems, overweight will surely be a manmade risk for dogs. In fact, you just tie up the legs of an active dog and make him sit at a place with overfeeding habits. Nothing to fear, we have remedies for overweight. Anyway, we cannot countdown the nutritious food, so you can offer him food with low-fat foods.
Top 10 foods for weight loss
1. Wellness CORE Natural Dog food
The Wellness CORE recipes are crafted with reference to the ancestral diet. The highlight of the recipe is that it contains 25% low fat which is absolutely suitable for all dogs irrespective of the size. The key ingredient of the formulated food is turkey meal and deboned chicken. Along with this, other ingredients like oils, botanica products like fruits and vegetables are enough to satisfy the nutritional needs of a dog.
Dogs get three vitamins like A, D, and B from natural sources of Chicken and high proteins and fatty acids from Turkey meal.
|Brand||Wellness Natural Pet Food|
|Item Weight in Pounds||12|
- A powerful source of ingredients for weight loss
- The recipe is rich in prebiotics, antioxidants, and fatty acids
- A high ratio of fiber supports weight loss
- 3 bag options with varying pounds
- Fermented products included promoting healthy digestion
- An ingredient like tomato pulp is not suitable for some dogs
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Healthy Weight Formula
A power-packed recipe with animal protein obtained from chicken extracts. In addition to this, supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin supply sufficient amounts of proteins and high fiber content. With the perfect balance of fatty acids, the recipe still contains low fat. The formulated food is free from artificial flavors and fillers. A special supplement like L-Carnitine(Levocarnitine) will act as building blocks of muscles.
Excess of nutrients can make your dog obese. But Blue Buffalo Life Protection focuses on giving the right proportions of proteins and carbohydrates to maintain the healthy weight of the dog.
For a healthy breakfast, the kibbles are free from grains like wheat and corn.
|Flavor||Healthy Weight Chicken & Brown Rice|
- Low fat for weight loss
- Supplies your dog with endless energy
- Grains and artificial flavors are excluded
- The antioxidants promote a healthy skin coat
- Tempting taste
- Sometimes, dogs might be subjected to diarrhea.
3. Honest Kitchen Zeal Grain-free Dehydrated Dog food
The perfect meal crafted for sensitive dogs is Honest Kitchen Zeal dehydrated food. The premium ingredient of the recipe is white fish. Although, the formulated food contains less fat and carbohydrates, no compromise in high protein levels. The perfect blend of all the ingredients like eggs, fruits, and vegetables makes the recipe suitable for dogs of all breeds. The is free from allergy-triggering ingredients like gluten, linseed, grain, and potatoes.
|Brand||The Honest Kitchen|
|Item Weight in Pounds||10.5|
- Suitable for dogs of all breeds.
- Free from grains and gluten
- Easy preparation
- No added artificial fillers and preservatives
- Packed in a biodegradable bag
- Some dogs don’t like the taste
- Very expensive
4. Eagle Pack Natural Dry Dog food
A trio combination of pork, fish, and chicken from Eagle pack will definitely turn your overweight dog into a fit dog. In Order to give low-fat content, the recipe is not crafted with harmful fillers and grains like soy and wheat. Eagle pack foods are all-rounders with the utmost taste and smell.
You will get to know the power of Eagle Pack by seeing your puppy trail waving to taste the food.
|Brand||Eagle Pack Natural Pet Food|
|Item Weight in Pounds||0.3|
- Contains only 35% of fat
- Dual-source of proteins from chicken and pork
- Supports in lean muscle development, healthy skin, and hips
- Promotes immune system functionality
- Delicious taste
- A small quantity of maize is added which is allergic to dogs
- Contains a by-product called beet pulp
5. Natural Balance Fat Dogs Chicken Salmon Formula Dry Dog food
If you are seeking a low-calorie profile, without a second choice, you can choose the perfectly blent Chicken Salmon Formula from Natural Balance. The core-plus of the recipe is the unique blend of proteins, vitamins, and minerals. The food makes your dog’s tummy full with a high nutritional value containing low fat. The wholesome grains added to the recipe are extremely digestible. So pet owners can confidently add the pet food to the cart.
|Item Weight in Pounds||28|
|Flavor||Fat Dogs Low-Calorie Dry Dog Formula|
- Essential amount of animal protein
- Wholesome grains promote healthy digestion
- Optimum level of fatty acids
- Fresh ingredients (fruits and vegetables)
- Contains grains
- Not recommended for dogs with Pancreatitis due to excessive fiber.
6. Castor Pollux Organix Dry dog food
Surely, all the pet parents love to feed the dog with organic foods. One such brand which adds organic and natural source ingredients is the Castor Pollux Organix. The delicious formula of the food makes your dog excited to finish off the meal without leaving a single kibbe on the plate. It is one of the recipes that contain low fat that is suitable for inactive dogs.
The ingredients like chicken flour, peas, barley, brown rice are 100% natural and organic. Additional nutrition obtained from coconut oil, blueberries, and flax seeds promotes good hair and skin. And also, the added vegetables give a healthy digestive system.
|Item Weight in Pounds||5.15|
- Cent percent organic
- Contains no artificial preservatives and by-products
- Good taste
- The primary ingredient is hormone-free chicken
- Unique formula for weight loss
- Contains peas (cause loose stools)
7. Canidae PURE Healthy Weight Chicken Pea Recipe Dry Food
If you want high-quality food with low-fat content, the perfect choice is the Canidae PURE Chicken Pea Recipe Dry food. The fat content is only 9% which is considered to be very less when compared to other food brands. It consists of only the minimum main ingredients, handpicked for sensitive dogs.
A completely balanced food with chicken as the first ingredient and other supplements, vitamins, minerals give an essential number of proteins and antioxidants to the dog.
|Item Weight in Pounds||24|
- High protein content with low fat
- Limited ingredients
- Optimum level of the fiber content
- Grain-free recipe
8. Weruva Grain-free Canned Dog food
The recipe is made from a healthy boneless chicken fillet. With fully immersed chicken in gravy, the recipe tastes very good. Since chicken meat is excellent suppliers of
Fatty acids like omega 3 and 6, Weruva guarantees healthy fur and a shiny coat to the skin.
The formulated food is mainly for adult dogs with sensitive stomachs.
|Item Weight in Pounds||12.4|
|Flavor||Paw Lickin’ Chicken|
- High level of fatty acids
- Good taste
- No grains and gluten are added to the recipe
- Hormone-free meat
- Too much gravy
9. Diamond Naturals LIGHT Real Meat Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food
One of the top brand pet foods available at an affordable price is the Diamond Naturals real meat recipe. Diamond Naturals have no compromise giving quality foods free from artificial flavors. The main ingredient of the recipe is lamb protein. In addition to this, other ingredients like grains, fruits, and vegetables give sufficient amounts of nutrients. The prebiotics of the formulated food helps in good digestion.
|Item Weight in Pounds||30|
|Flavor||Light - Lamb|
- Affordable price
- Recommended for dogs with obesity
- Free from fillers and preservatives
- Antioxidants are included
- Some dogs might not like the taste of the food
10. Royal Canin gastrointestinal Low Fat Dry Dog Food
If you want your puppy to lose weight in a short period then you can go for Royal Canin gastrointestinal low-fat food. The recipe contains high-level proteins that help in easy digestion and avoid dumping of excess fat. Dog’s bodies have chelated minerals that absorb complex nutrients like carbohydrates. This pet food is great for dogs with digestion problems, pancreatitis, bacterial infection, and enteropathy. With a minimum quantity of fat, you can witness a considerable weight loss in your dog.
|Item Weight in Pounds||1.5|
- Easy to digest
- Recommended for digestive disorders
- Contains chelated minerals
- At times, dogs might waste the food due to the unpleasant smell and taste.
Problems in overweight dogs
An obese dog has more tissues in the body. The pancreas cannot produce more insulin in the blood. If the diabetes is not in control, it might lead to nerve problems and kidney failure
Overweight increases the risk of causing heart disease. Excess of muscles can lead to inefficient pumping of the heart. This incapability of blood circulation by the heart can cause congestive heart failure (a condition in which the heart get filled with fluid)
Dogs with excessive weight remain inactive throughout the day. When the muscle joints have no movements, the flexibility of the joints is lost. This leads to health-related issues like arthritis and hip dysplasia.
Dogs with increased body weight lag workouts. This can cause suffocation after heavy meals. Also, this might block the sufficient amount of oxygen supply to the tissues.
A psychological disease that can stress out the internal organs of dogs is Hypertension which can cause strokes and cardiac-related problems
The antioxidants obtained from pet food is not enough to feed the excess body tissues of an overweight dog. The absence of omega fatty acids can turn the skin unhealthy.
Unlike other animals, overweight dogs have hormonal imbalance thus leading to miscarriages or difficulty in delivering the pup.
In general, dogs with obesity are prone to cancer.
Obesity can give the dog a shorter life span compared to lean dogs.
Weight gain causes
The reason behind being overweight is excessive accumulation of calories and lack of exercise.
The dog must definitely do some workouts to burn the calories. Some of the dogs have the capability to burn out more calories while doing exercise.
What causes the Dog to lose weight?
Many varieties of food are available especially for reducing weight. But we cannot guarantee that all pet food brands can work in an effective way. As a pet parent, you have to focus on some of the factors while selecting food for weight loss
You have to look for foods with low-calorie content. Normal foods have high-calorie profiles. Nothing to worry about, your dog’s stomach will be full after the meal.
The low-calorie foods are designed with a high protein ratio with reduced fats. The increased level of proteins helps the dog to get all the essential nutrients. Look for foods having 300 calories per cup for a healthy diet.
Although the food meant for weight loss has low fat, it must be very delicious. Otherwise, the dog might turn its head from the plate. So, don’t forget to choose food that is very tasty and easily digestible.
With an aim of giving balanced food, you must not cut down the quantity of food. Unknowingly, you are reducing the nutrition level for the dog. Ensure that you are offering all the required nutrients.
Prebiotics and Probiotics
Prebiotics and probiotics help in the effective function of the gastrointestinal tract. Search for food brands having prebiotics and Probiotics since the absence of them can cause digestive problems.
The health of the dog depends on the quality of ingredients. Stick to foods having meat, fish, wholesome grains, fruits, and vegetables.
The amount of fiber required varies with each dog breed. If the dog is suffering from pancreatitis then it should be fed with low fiber. But, dogs of moderate weight need high fiber to promote healthy digestion.
Whenever you are choosing food brands, you must read out some guidelines that help you to get a food brand that is much suitable for your little canine friend.
- Check whether the food is prepared in a country with high safety and quality standards.
- Select foods with high-level proteins from wholesome grains. A high quantity of meat can make the dog obese.
- Ensure that the pet food doesn’t contain any artificial flavors and fillers. Many dog breeds are prone to allergies, so these artificial preservatives might trigger an allergy in the dog
- You must definitely avoid foods labeling “meat meal”. The sources of this meat might be unknown. If the dog gets allergic, it would be very difficult to know the exact source. Better prefer buying foods having “beef meal” and “chicken meal’’ as ingredients.
1. What is the feeding interval for overweight loss?
Before feeding the dog, you must know the number of calories per cup. As we discussed earlier, it is better to feed the dog 300 calories per day. If you didn’t notice any change in the dog’s weight, you must reduce the food quantity.
Importantly, you must know the age, breed before setting the food intervals.
2. What happens to an obese dog?
An obese dog will have accumulated unhealthy fats in the body. Since they don’t exercise and sit ideal throughout the day, they are prone to diseases like High blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, malfunction of the immune and digestive system.
3. Green Peas good for a dog’s weight loss?
Green beans are tasty vegetables that can lose the weight of a dog. But relying on beans alone cannot give the best results. The dog must involve exercise and walking to reduce the weight within a short span of time.
4. How to reduce the dog’s weight?
Although, offering low-fat food avoids excess fat in the dog’s body. But, the only fair way to burn out the existing calories is exercise. Most importantly, you must not cut down the quantity of regular dog food without a vet’s consultation.
5. Is it necessary to avoid offering Junk treats?
If you want to notice a drastic change in weight loss in your pet, you must avoid offering junk treats. Most of the dog owners are too liberal and offer more treats. You can have an option of giving treats randomly if the dog obeys to exercise and play games.
6. What is the best weight loss food for sensitive dogs?
We have listed the top 10 weight loss foods for dogs. Read out the pros and cons of each brand and buy the food that is best for your dog
Overall, we have given all the necessary guidelines for buying weight loss food for dogs. They are cute animals that express their needs through sign language. As a pet owner, you must know the nutrition needs of the puppy. If you love your dog, feed them with healthy foods. In parallel, if the dog is obese take necessary steps to lose the dog’s weight. If you follow a healthy diet for your dog, you can increase its lifespan. Accompany your little furry friend throughout your life journey.