Best food for pregnant dogs
As a pet parent, you must care for pregnant dogs the most. Unlike normal dogs, pregnant dogs have high energy demands, and the puppy must get more nourishment throughout the gestation period. Are you planning to change the diet plan of your pregnant dog? Before doing so, you must spare time to read this article to know what formulas suit them. But we have made the task easy for you. After two days of research, we have clipped everything that you need to know within an article. Read till the bottom to know about pregnant-friendly food foods.
What do we need to feed a pregnant dog?
Basically, a pregnant dog should be fed a balanced diet containing 30% animal-based protein and 20% fat. The recipe should contain mandatory fatty acids like Omega 3 and 6. The right ratio of nutrition will help the dog to give a normal delivery. Moreover, it keeps the newborn and the mother healthy. A study says that a pet parent must be aware of feeding the dog high-quality foods. Undoubtedly, these pregnant dogs must maintain a healthy weight to deliver the pup with ease. Remember, you should not make your dog lose weight during the pregnancy period. When the delivery date is nearing, you must feed the dog a low-calorie diet. Generally, you can provide the same food for the first 50 days of pregnancy if you are following a healthy and quality diet for the dog.
Table of contents
- Taste of the wild dry dog food with roasted Bison and venison
- The Honest Kitchen dehydrated grain-free dog food
- Wellness Stew Wet Canned Dog food variety
- Instinct Raw Boost grain-free dry dog food with real chicken
Best pregnant-friendly dog foods available in the market
1. Taste of the wild dry dog food with roasted Bison and venison
There are plenty of dog foods formulated for pregnant dogs. So, it is not so easy to filter out the best one. If you are new to choosing pregnant-friendly dog foods, it's better to start with top-selling brands like Taste of the Wild. The roasted Bison and Venison recipe provides a high protein level and adds a natural flavour to the food. So, the pregnant dog will never refuse to eat the food. This grain-free recipe has high protein content obtained from the animals like roasted Venison, buffalo, and beef. Therefore, the natural diet consists of 32% crude protein. There is a decent ratio of carbohydrates from the ingredients like sweet potatoes and peas in this dry dog food. The carbs are easily digestible and supply energy throughout the body.
When it comes to the fat, a perfect blend of chicken fat and fish meal adds more taste to the food and tempts the dog to empty the bowl within a few minutes. Besides these primary ingredients, supplements like fruits and vegetables provide optimum fibre, prebiotics, and probiotics. A good fibre content provides healthy digestion and supports the overall health of the dog. In simple words, this recipe provides a natural and healthy diet to pregnant dogs and developing puppies. Per cup, there is about 30% protein and 18% fat, and 370 calories that are more than enough to meet the nutrition demands of the dog.
What we love in Taste of the wild dry dog food with Roasted Bison and Venison
- This recipe is one of the top-rated pregnant-friendly dog foods
- It consists of animal protein obtained from the animal sources like beef, Venison, and Bison
- The Chicken fat adds more flavour to the recipe
- High fibre content will improve the digestion system
- The food is formulated without grains and is suitable for sensitive dogs
- Taste of the Wild High Prairie with ROASTED BISON and VENISON dry dog food; REAL MEAT is the main ingredient; high-protein (32%) to help support bones, joints and LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from FRUITS and SUPERFOODS; omega fatty acids for healthy SKIN and COAT
- Formulated without grain, corn, wheat, artificial flavors or artificial colors
- FAMILY-OWNED and MADE in the USA using quality ingredients from truste... Read More
2. The Honest Kitchen dehydrated grain-free dog food
Does your dog have sensitive dogs? So, you must be very conscious when it comes to the ingredients. We know that grains are the allergy-triggering ingredients. But, omitting grains alone from the diet is not a healthy decision. You must make sure whether the dog gets good nutritional value from the selected recipe.
If you want to balance the nutritional level rightly, try out Honest kitchen's dehydrated grain-free dog food. This recipe is formulated with natural ingredients that improve the canine's whole-body health. Very importantly, the food is available in a dehydrated form will seal the moisture content within. With chicken as the primary ingredient, the food is rich in animal protein. The other ingredients like fruits and vegetables will provide sufficient fibres, prebiotics, and probiotics, thereby maintaining a healthy digestion system. In addition, organic ingredients like flaxseed are rich in omega fatty acids. It gives a healthy and shiny coat to the canine.
Since the food is in dehydrated form, you must rehydrate before feeding the dog. Obviously, rehydration will boost the moisture content in the food. So, ingesting food with high nutritional value will increase the milk productivity that is very essential for the newborn pup.
What we love in the Honest Kitchen dehydrated grain-free dog food
- This recipe guarantees to deliver a balanced diet
- It omits any grains and does not trigger any allergies
- The food is exclusively formulated for dogs with sensitive intestinal tracts
- Hydrated food boosts the moisture content of the food
- A perfect ratio of vitamins, minerals, amino acids will increase the milk secretion
The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Grain Free Dog Food – Complete Meal or Dog Food Topper
- GRAIN FREE, FREE RANGE CHICKEN: The Honest Kitchen Grain Free Chicken dog food is made with real whole food ingredients like free range chicken, green beans & apples, which are gently dehydrated for maximum nutrient retention and easy digestion.
- SUITABLE FOR ADULT DOGS: Complete & Balanced nutrition for adult dogs of all breeds and sizes including adult and senior dogs.
- EASY HOMEMADE: Just add warm water for a wholesome & delicious meal. Serve alone as a complete... Read More
3. Wellness Stew Wet Canned Dog food variety with Peas and carrot formula
As far as pregnant dogs are concerned, you must include recipes that boost milk productivity. In that case, keeping the dog's body hydrated throughout the day will help in milk secretion. If you notice your dog losing weight in the first few weeks and frequent nausea, it is because of dehydration. When it comes to dry food, half of the moisture will evaporate when the food is cooked. On the other hand, wet food in the canned form will seal the moisture within the kibbles.
A perfect solution for boosting the hydration level is to feed the dog with wet food. Since the moisture is retained, there is no drop in the protein level also. This recipe contains sufficient carbs that are easily digestible. The food is formulated by keeping chicken as the main ingredient. So, the canine gets a high level of protein content from chicken liver and eggs. Apart from this, a perfect blend of fruits and vegetables provides the correct ratio of fibre, vitamins, and minerals. As a whole, all the infused ingredients are of high quality and increase the diet's nutritional value. Since this food is specially crafted for pregnant dogs, it is free from artificial preservatives and colouring agents. You can try out the other two formulas like the Barley +carrot recipe and the carrot and potato recipe.
What we love in Wellness Stew Wet Canned Dog food variety with Peas and carrot formula
- This Peas and Carrot formula has high moisture and protein content
- It uses chicken as the primary ingredient
- The recipe is easily digestible and omits grains
- The food is formulated with natural ingredients, excluding artificial preservatives
- A balanced ratio of ingredients boosts hydration, thereby increasing the milk productivity
Wellness Chicken Stew with Peas & Carrots Canned Dog Food
- A natural, homestyle stew with tender cuts in savory gravy
- Contains no wheat, meat by-products, or artificial color, flavors or preservatives
- Added vitamins & minerals
- Made with natural ingredients that provide exceptional nutrition & extraordinary flavor... Read More
4. Instinct Raw Boost grain-free dry dog food with real chicken
For increasing the quality of your dog's diet, you can go with raw foods. Although raw foods are expensive, customers are highly satisfied with premium quality foods. As the name suggests, Instinct raw boost grain-free dry dog food uses chicken as the primary ingredient. A perfect blend of meat and fish ingredients will serve as the high protein source. Apart from providing protein, the chicken is rich in Vitamin B6 and Niacin. The ingredients like peas and tapioca will provide essential carbohydrates. In addition, these two ingredients are rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and improve the skin texture of the canine. This recipe's natural balanced diet provides DHA that is essential for a puppy's brain development. Overall, a single cup of raw boost kibbles will provide 37% protein, 20.5% fat, and 508 calories.
What we love in Instinct Raw Boost grain-free dry dog food with real chicken
- The recipe contains only high-quality ingredients like fruits and vegetables
- Freeze-dried chicken bits mixed with kibbles is rich in protein and supports lean muscle development
- A good ratio of fatty acids and supplements like glucosamine will improve the skin coat and strengthen the muscle joints
- The soft texture and appetizing flavour of the food will tempt the dog
- This recipe has long shelf-life
- It is totally worth buying
Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Dry Dog Food, High Protein Real Chicken Kibble + Freeze Dried Raw Dog Food, 21 lb. Bag Pet Supplies
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD WITH FREEZE DRIED RAW CAGE FREE CHICKEN: Instinct Raw Boost natural dry dog food combines high protein, grain free kibble with all natural bites of freeze dried raw chicken. Cage free chicken is the #1 ingredient.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD PLUS FREEZE DRIED RAW PIECES: Raw Boost is high protein dog food with probiotics to support healthy digestion and omegas for skin & coat. Made without grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by product meal, artificial colors or preservative... Read More
We hope that you have got an idea about recipes that are meant for pregnant dogs. All the mentioned recipes in this article have high customer ratings. Before adding the food to the cart, check out whether the recipe's nutritional value satisfies the pregnant dog's energy demands. You can place your orders at eCommerce sites for fast delivery.