Grain-free dog foods
Recently, grain-free food for dogs has become very popular. Do you think that this kind of food is good for all dogs? If you think that grain-free foods are carbohydrate-free then you are absolutely wrong. Choosing the right food for pets is the most difficult task for pet owners. The grain-free food is trending since it got a green signal from the advocates of the raw food diet.
Wild dog ancestors had a natural diet of having meat. Now, the available dog food contains grains like oats, corn, etc. The reason behind the manufacture of grain-free food is to provide a natural diet. Now you all will have a doubt, new generation dogs no longer resemble or perform any activities like wild ancestors then why we prefer grain-free food. Let us discuss some of the pros and cons of grain-free food to get better clarity on safe food that is good to add to a dog’s menu.
Pros of a Grain-free dog food
Grain-free foods are made of fat-based items like fish, meat, beef, etc. In addition to meat, grain-free food contains a certain amount of carbohydrates from vegetables like potatoes and sweet potatoes. After feeding the dog grain-free food, many pet owners say that they see improvement in the health of the little pup.
Digestion requires amylase enzymes. If a dog doesn't have a good level of amylase enzyme then digestion of grain is very difficult. Amylase can break down the carbohydrate and starch and convert them to simpler sugar compounds. If there is no enough enzyme in a dog’s body then it can lead to gastrointestinal problems. In such cases, dogs can get protein from grain-free food.
Recommended for Diabetic Dogs
Offering grain-free food to diabetic dogs is highly beneficial because grain foods have carbohydrates. Intake of more carbohydrates can increase the blood sugar level. On the other hand, if you offer grains like corn, there will be excess production of insulin that can result in weight gain.
Improve health and overall health
Since grain-free foods can protect the dog from allergies and digestive problems, the dogs can stay active and maintain good health. Dog owners have observed more energy in their dogs after switching over to grain-free foods. Reports say that the dog has better breathing and remains more enthusiastic.
Good for Dogs with food Intolerance
Pet owners observed that their dogs are prone to allergies when fed grain-based foods. When you plan a dog’s menu with grain-made food with wheat barley can cause damage to the intestine lining, thereby leading to the non-absorption of nutrients. A better way to inject an essential amount of carbohydrate is to add grain-free food.
Cons of grain-free dog food
Grain-free foods are expensive compared to grain foods. Pet owners must think about the budget before selecting the grain-free food for the dog's morning routine. Although, high protein content grain-free food can fill your dog tummy with an intake of less food. However, they get enough nutrients from these foods.
Avoid for Older and less active Dogs
Protein-rich foods are suitable for working dogs. High levels of protein baked food for dogs having an ordinary lifestyle can increase their weight. And also, grain-free food is not recommended for old dogs since they make only limited body movements.
High amount of carbohydrates
Some of the readily available grain-free foods contain more carbohydrates than actual meat. Pet owners who think that grain-free food is good for a perfect nutrient diet are wrong. In exceptional cases, grain-free food can also cause allergies to the dog.
Can grain-free dog food cause heart disease?
Grain-free foods for dogs can cause heart-related problems for dogs. As per the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), there is a risk of occurring dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs due to an unbalanced diet of food containing more potatoes and peas as key ingredients.
DCM is a disease that weakens the heart and expands the heart muscles. This will reduce the efficient pumping ability of the heart. Weak functioning of the heart results in death. But there are several reports showing the DCM as completely resolved if the dog is given a supplement amino acid called Taurine. Using this supplement, you can cure the DCM.
Symptoms of DCM
- Loss of appetite.
- The weakening of the body.
- Wheezing trouble after a short walk.
- Continuous coughing.
Cheapest Grain-free Dog foods
1. Purina Beneful Adult Dry Dog Food
The most affordable grain-free foods for Dogs are obtained from Purina. Chicken is the main ingredient of the food. This pack contains a decent amount of protein and fat without taste sacrifice. In addition to this, there are omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for the skin glow and maintain the health of the puppy.
You can trust this food brand as each and every ingredient used in the food is too picky and is from the best farms and is grain-free and protected from preservatives.
- The main ingredient is US-based chicken.
- Food is free from grains like corn, wheat, etc., and unhealthy colors and flavors.
- Presence of natural fibers.
- The dog food formula contains peas which may cause allergies to dogs
Purina Beneful Grain Free, Natural Dry Dog Food, Grain Free With Real Farm Raised Chicken - 12.5 lb. Bag Pet Supplies
- 12.5 Lb. Bag - Purina Beneful Grain-Free With Real Farm-Raised Chicken Adult Dry Dog Food
- Grain-Free Formula Provides Abundant Nutrition Without Sacrificing Taste
- Made Without Corn, Wheat Or Gluten
- Never Any Fillers
- Contains No Animal By-Product Meal
- Real farm-raised chicken is the #1 ingredient
- Accents of blueberries, pumpkin and spinach ... Read More
2. Rachael Ray Nutrish Beef and Brow Rice recipe
The formulated food of American Journey consists of three main ingredients viz Beef, Pea, and Brown Rice. This is a good brand to pick for your budget. The high-level nutrient content of the food makes it a topmost brand chosen among pet owners. Your dog will enjoy a full-fledged meal.
The beef and Brown rice Recipe has a perfect ratio of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. The consistent level of nutrients lay the basement for developing strong bones. The core ingredient of the recipe is the beef and pea that pay justice to protein and fiber enrichment. Other vitamins like Vitamin A & C can grow your pet healthy. Amino acids are mandatory for the healthy development of the hair, nail, immune system, hormone secretion, and muscles.
- Absolutely grain-free food and contains high-level protein.
- It is very easy to store.
- Quality meat is guaranteed.
- Quite affordable.
- Use of peas.
- Carbohydrate level is high.
- Certain dogs might be allergic to the flavor of the food.
Currently, the above product is unavailable on amazon. Kindly refer the link below for similar product
Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Natural Dry Dog Food, Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe, 6 Pounds, Grain Free Pet Supplies
- Contains (1) 6 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- U.S. farm-raised chicken is the #1 ingredient
- No artificial flavors, colors, or artificial preservatives
- Natural dog food with added vitamins & minerals
- Safely USA cooked with the world's best ingredients ... Read More
3. Nature’s Recipe Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe
A complete energy treat that you can provide on your dog’s plate is the Nature’s Recipe. The key factor to note on this recipe is that it consists of five main ingredients namely Pea Starch, Chicken meal, easy digestible Chicken, and Peas. This formulated food is ready to serve for dogs in all stages.
The protein-rich food with fats and simple carbohydrate compounds are suitable for growing puppies or an adult dog. The supplements are added to provide a good nutritional diet. The fresh chick is the wow factor in this recipe. You know that fresh chicken contains 80% moisture which is lost when the meat is cooked. So, the amount of protein from the meat will be considerably less.
- Fresh chicken is used.
- The presence of peas might trigger an allergy.
- Not liked by picky eaters.
Nature's Recipe Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe, 12 Pounds, Easy to Digest Pet Supplies
- Contains (1) 12 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- Real chicken is the main ingredient
- Easy-to-digest recipe, with nutrient-dense, healthy sweet potatoes and pumpkins
- Formulated for all breeds and lifestages, from puppies to senior dogs
- No corn, wheat, or poultry by-product meal. No soy protein, artificial flavors, or preservatives
- For over 30 years, Nature's Recipe has purposefully crafted recipes with all natural ingredients, and added vitamins, minera... Read More
Is Grain-free dog food are better for dogs
Grains are a good source of nutrients. Dogs can get essential nutrients like carbohydrates, fat, and antioxidants from grains. This clearly shows that grain foods can support healthy skin, hair, and immune systems. Nowadays, grain-free food has become the most preferred one among pet owners. Grain-free foods can keep your dogs away from allergies and digestive problems so most pet owners stick to grain-free foods.
Best nongrain food for dogs
The aim of the pet parents must be to give a quality food diet to the dogs. Since the wave of non-grain food has hit the dog owners, they are seeking the best nongrain food that suits the canine. First. You must be aware of the food formula that has a huge impact on the healthy growth of animals. Let us see some of the well-known brands for non-gain foods.
1. Wag grain-free canned dog food
The factor that makes your head towards the brand is the quality and standard.
A delicious blend of the main ingredient real American beef and vegetables like peas and lentils gained more pet owner fans for its simple food formula and reliability.
The primary ingredients like fresh beef give the required amount of fat and protein. The dog will get a satisfactory amount of phytonutrients from salmon oil and essential fatty acids from flaxseeds.
- Reasonable price.
- A large proportion of Brown Rice.
- The rice-based ingredients are low quality.
Amazon Brand - Wag Wet Canned Dog Food 12.5/13.2 oz
- Turkey broth & turkey are the first two ingredients
- Contains sweet potatoes with chunks of meat in gravy
- No added grain; No added corn, wheat, or soy; No added artificial colors and flavors, or chemical preservatives
- Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world
- Serve by itself or mixed in with kibble
- Gradual transitioning is important to help avoid dietary upsets. Please allow 7-10 days (10-14 days for sensitive dogs... Read More
2. Health Extension Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe
The highlight of the brand is it shows transparency on the ingredients used to make the food. This is something that gains the trust of the brand among the people. In fact, many other brands must learn from Health Extension.
The main ingredients of this recipe are Chicken Fat, Chicken, and chicken meal. Health extensions prefer using Brown rice as a plant-based ingredient compared to White rice. Meat and meat-based ingredients like Menhaden fish Meal, Lamb Meal are mixed in fixed ratios to the recipe. These ingredients provide a consistent amount of fat, proteins, and nutrients.
- Transparency in the source of ingredients.
- Brown rice is the main plant ingredient.
- Suitable only for adults of all breeds.
Health Extension Little Bites Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe, 4-Pound Pet Supplies
- 4-Pounds Of Dry Dog Food - Health Extension Little Bites Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food Is Crafted Especially For Teacups, Toys And Miniature Dogs - From Puppies To Senior Adults
- Usda Inspected, Deboned Chicken #1 Ingredient
- Fiber-Rich Flaxseed
- Pure Coconut Oil
- Natural Probiotics, Turmeric, Apple Cider Vinegar & Ginger... Read More
3.Taste of Wild Ancient Wetland Canine Recipe
A brand that needs no introduction is the Taste of Wild. In the early days, they used grain ingredients and was a flop and later used picky ingredients and gained more consumers. Using core meat ingredients, this company stands out from the crowd. The recipe is prepared from original grain-free Wetlands. The meat ingredients including the Duck Meal, Duck, and Chicken Meal can provide high nutrition to the dog. The recipes of Taste Wild include grains in larger portions. These grains include Brown Rice, Barley, millet, etc.
- Grains used in a larger proportion.
- High protein dry food.
- Recommended only for active dogs.
Taste of the Wild with Ancient Grains Ancient Wetlands Canine Recipe with Roasted Fowl Dry Dog Food, Made with High Protein from Real Duck and Guaranteed Nutrients and Probiotics 14lb Pet Supplies
- Taste of the Wild with Ancient Grains Ancient Wetlands with ROASTED FOWL dry dog food; REAL DUCK is the #1 ingredient and combines with ROASTED QUAIL and SMOKED TURKEY; high-protein (32%) to help support bones, joints and LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from SUPERFOODS and ANCIENT GRAINS; omega fatty acids for healthy SKIN and COAT
- Each serving includes high levels of species-specific, K9 Strain PROPRIETARY PROBIOT... Read More
Is grain-free food bad?
Whenever you hear about grain-free food, the first thing that strikes your mind is gluten. Yes, gluten is the main component that maintains the texture and shape of grain foods. Dog owners fear gluten-based foods. In fact, it is not a big problem. Gluten can provide the dog enough carbohydrates that promote digestion in pets. Vets say grain products can cause allergies only in rare cases. Moreover, switching to a grain-free diet for the dog must be after medical consultation.
Cause for the concern
What is the need of consulting a doctor before changing the nutrient diet to a grain-free diet? This is a common question that arises in people’s minds. Yes, you can stick to the natural diet rather than trying out risky new trends. The main reason for fearing diet-related medication is that dogs might be affected by dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM). As discussed earlier, this disease will cause malfunctioning of the heart.
FDA food alert for dog owners
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) received reports that 90% of dogs affected by DCM were following grain-free food and 93% consumed peas, lentils, and 45% had potatoes and sweet potatoes in their diet. However, the cause and effect of the disease DCM are not proven completely yet. Reports say that most of the dogs affected with DCM have appreciable improvement after taking the supplement Taurine. As an overall observation, it is said that dogs following the BEG diet (boutique, exotic, and grain-free diet) are prone to the DCM.
As a dog owner, you must have an eye on dogs eating BEG goods. If you observe any signs of heart disease then you must immediately consult a vet for treatment. Why complicating things? You can just visit a clinic and consult a vet before trying out any new type of nutrition diet. Because they have wide knowledge on current trend grain-free food and its effects better than anyone else.
Is the ideal diet healthy for canines?
Do you think an ideal diet for dogs is healthy? No, offering a balanced diet food to a dog is extremely critical. Animals and humans must get all the essential nutrients from foods. Rotation of food is the basement for a growing dog. You are not aware of the nutrients that a dog’s body desperately wants. In such cases, you must offer a wide range of food with high nutritional values to develop the immune system of your pet. In addition to the organ and muscle meat, the nutrition chart must also contain high water content fruits and healthy vegetables. Don't forget to add a sufficient amount of calcium and phosphorus-rich food to the dog’s food menu.
To sum up, there is no proof that what type of food is better for the canine. Select a brand that is very much suitable for your dog. But before selecting the brand, it is mandatory to visit the clinic. There are best cheap food and worst expensive foods. Choosing a brand of food is very sensitive. The energy in the dog is based on the food you feed., you must choose a brand for which you won't regret later.