Grain-free dog foodsRecently, grain-free food for dogs has become very popular. Do you think that this kind of food is good for all dogs? If you think that grain-free foods are carbohydrate-free then you are absolutely wrong. Choosing the right food for pets is the most difficult task for pet owners. The grain-free food is trending since it got a green signal from the advocates of the raw food diet. Wild dog ancestors had a natural diet of having meat. Now, the available dog food contains grains like oats, corn, etc. The reason behind the manufacture of grain-free food is to provide a natural diet. Now you all will have a doubt, new generation dogs no longer resemble or perform any activities like wild ancestors then why we prefer grain-free food. Let us discuss some of the pros and cons of grain-free food to get better clarity on safe food that is good to add to a dog’s menu.
Pros of a Grain-free dog foodGrain-free foods are made of fat-based items like fish, meat, beef, etc. In addition to meat, grain-free food contains a certain amount of carbohydrates from vegetables like potatoes and sweet potatoes. After feeding the dog grain-free food, many pet owners say that they see improvement in the health of the little pup.
Easy digestionDigestion requires amylase enzymes. If a dog doesn't have a good level of amylase enzyme then digestion of grain is very difficult. Amylase can break down the carbohydrate and starch and convert them to simpler sugar compounds. If there is no enough enzyme in a dog’s body then it can lead to gastrointestinal problems. In such cases, dogs can get protein from grain-free food.
Recommended for Diabetic DogsOffering grain-free food to diabetic dogs is highly beneficial because grain foods have carbohydrates. Intake of more carbohydrates can increase the blood sugar level. On the other hand, if you offer grains like corn, there will be excess production of insulin that can result in weight gain.
Improve health and overall healthSince grain-free foods can protect the dog from allergies and digestive problems, the dogs can stay active and maintain good health. Dog owners have observed more energy in their dogs after switching over to grain-free foods. Reports say that the dog has better breathing and remains more enthusiastic.
Good for Dogs with food IntolerancePet owners observed that their dogs are prone to allergies when fed grain-based foods. When you plan a dog’s menu with grain-made food with wheat barley can cause damage to the intestine lining, thereby leading to the non-absorption of nutrients. A better way to inject an essential amount of carbohydrate is to add grain-free food.
Cons of grain-free dog foodGrain-free foods are expensive compared to grain foods. Pet owners must think about the budget before selecting the grain-free food for the dog's morning routine. Although, high protein content grain-free food can fill your dog tummy with an intake of less food. However, they get enough nutrients from these foods.
Avoid for Older and less active DogsProtein-rich foods are suitable for working dogs. High levels of protein baked food for dogs having an ordinary lifestyle can increase their weight. And also, grain-free food is not recommended for old dogs since they make only limited body movements.
High amount of carbohydratesSome of the readily available grain-free foods contain more carbohydrates than actual meat. Pet owners who think that grain-free food is good for a perfect nutrient diet are wrong. In exceptional cases, grain-free food can also cause allergies to the dog.
Can grain-free dog food cause heart disease?Grain-free foods for dogs can cause heart-related problems for dogs. As per the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), there is a risk of occurring dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs due to an unbalanced diet of food containing more potatoes and peas as key ingredients. DCM is a disease that weakens the heart and expands the heart muscles. This will reduce the efficient pumping ability of the heart. Weak functioning of the heart results in death. But there are several reports showing the DCM as completely resolved if the dog is given a supplement amino acid called Taurine. Using this supplement, you can cure the DCM.
Symptoms of DCM
- Loss of appetite.
- The weakening of the body.
- Wheezing trouble after a short walk.
- Continuous coughing.
Cheapest Grain-free Dog foods
1. Purina Beneful Adult Dry Dog FoodThe most affordable grain-free foods for Dogs are obtained from Purina. Chicken is the main ingredient of the food. This pack contains a decent amount of protein and fat without taste sacrifice. In addition to this, there are omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for the skin glow and maintain the health of the puppy. You can trust this food brand as each and every ingredient used in the food is too picky and is from the best farms and is grain-free and protected from preservatives.
- The main ingredient is US-based chicken.
- Food is free from grains like corn, wheat, etc., and unhealthy colors and flavors.
- Presence of natural fibers.
- The dog food formula contains peas which may cause allergies to dogs
Purina Beneful Grain Free, Natural Dry Dog Food, Grain Free With Real Farm Raised Chicken - 12.5 lb. Bag Pet Supplies
- 12.5 Lb. Bag - Purina Beneful Grain-Free With Real Farm-Raised Chicken Adult Dry Dog Food
- Grain-Free Formula Provides Abundant Nutrition Without Sacrificing Taste
- Made Without Corn, Wheat Or Gluten
- Never Any Fillers
- Contains No Animal By-Product Meal
- Real farm-raised chicken is the #1 ingredient
- Accents of blueberries, pumpkin and spinach ... Read More
2. Rachael Ray Nutrish Beef and Brow Rice recipeThe formulated food of American Journey consists of three main ingredients viz Beef, Pea, and Brown Rice. This is a good brand to pick for your budget. The high-level nutrient content of the food makes it a topmost brand chosen among pet owners. Your dog will enjoy a full-fledged meal. The beef and Brown rice Recipe has a perfect ratio of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. The consistent level of nutrients lay the basement for developing strong bones. The core ingredient of the recipe is the beef and pea that pay justice to protein and fiber enrichment. Other vitamins like Vitamin A & C can grow your pet healthy. Amino acids are mandatory for the healthy development of the hair, nail, immune system, hormone secretion, and muscles.
- Absolutely grain-free food and contains high-level protein.
- It is very easy to store.
- Quality meat is guaranteed.
- Quite affordable.
- Use of peas.
- Carbohydrate level is high.
- Certain dogs might be allergic to the flavor of the food.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Natural Dry Dog Food, Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe, 6 Pounds, Grain Free Pet Supplies
- Contains (1) 6 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- U.S. farm-raised chicken is the #1 ingredient
- No artificial flavors, colors, or artificial preservatives
- Natural dog food with added vitamins & minerals
- Safely USA cooked with the world's best ingredients ... Read More
3. Nature’s Recipe Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin RecipeA complete energy treat that you can provide on your dog’s plate is the Nature’s Recipe. The key factor to note on this recipe is that it consists of five main ingredients namely Pea Starch, Chicken meal, easy digestible Chicken, and Peas. This formulated food is ready to serve for dogs in all stages. The protein-rich food with fats and simple carbohydrate compounds are suitable for growing puppies or an adult dog. The supplements are added to provide a good nutritional diet. The fresh chick is the wow factor in this recipe. You know that fresh chicken contains 80% moisture which is lost when the meat is cooked. So, the amount of protein from the meat will be considerably less.
- Fresh chicken is used.
- The presence of peas might trigger an allergy.
- Not liked by picky eaters.
Nature's Recipe Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe, 12 Pounds, Easy to Digest Pet Supplies
- Contains (1) 12 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- Real chicken is the main ingredient
- Easy-to-digest recipe, with nutrient-dense, healthy sweet potatoes and pumpkins
- Formulated for all breeds and lifestages, from puppies to senior dogs
- No corn, wheat, or poultry by-product meal. No soy protein, artificial flavors, or preservatives
- For over 30 years, Nature's Recipe has purposefully crafted recipes with all natural ingredients, and added vitamins, minera... Read More
Is Grain-free dog food are better for dogsGrains are a good source of nutrients. Dogs can get essential nutrients like carbohydrates, fat, and antioxidants from grains. This clearly shows that grain foods can support healthy skin, hair, and immune systems. Nowadays, grain-free food has become the most preferred one among pet owners. Grain-free foods can keep your dogs away from allergies and digestive problems so most pet owners stick to grain-free foods.
Best nongrain food for dogsThe aim of the pet parents must be to give a quality food diet to the dogs. Since the wave of non-grain food has hit the dog owners, they are seeking the best nongrain food that suits the canine. First. You must be aware of the food formula that has a huge impact on the healthy growth of animals. Let us see some of the well-known brands for non-gain foods.
1. Wag grain-free Dry dog foodThe factor that makes your head towards the brand is the quality and standard. A delicious blend of the main ingredient real American beef and vegetables like peas and lentils gained more pet owner fans for its simple food formula and reliability. The primary ingredients like fresh beef give the required amount of fat and protein. The dog will get a satisfactory amount of phytonutrients from salmon oil and essential fatty acids from flaxseeds.
- Reasonable price.
- A large proportion of Brown Rice.
- The rice-based ingredients are low quality.
2. Health Extension Chicken & Brown Rice RecipeThe highlight of the brand is it shows transparency on the ingredients used to make the food. This is something that gains the trust of the brand among the people. In fact, many other brands must learn from Health Extension. The main ingredients of this recipe are Chicken Fat, Chicken, and chicken meal. Health extensions prefer using Brown rice as a plant-based ingredient compared to White rice. Meat and meat-based ingredients like Menhaden fish Meal, Lamb Meal are mixed in fixed ratios to the recipe. These ingredients provide a consistent amount of fat, proteins, and nutrients.
- Transparency in the source of ingredients.
- Brown rice is the main plant ingredient.
- Suitable only for adults of all breeds.
3.Taste of Wild Ancient Wetland Canine RecipeA brand that needs no introduction is the Taste of Wild. In the early days, they used grain ingredients and was a flop and later used picky ingredients and gained more consumers. Using core meat ingredients, this company stands out from the crowd. The recipe is prepared from original grain-free Wetlands. The meat ingredients including the Duck Meal, Duck, and Chicken Meal can provide high nutrition to the dog. The recipes of Taste Wild include grains in larger portions. These grains include Brown Rice, Barley, millet, etc.
- Grains used in a larger proportion.
- High protein dry food.
- Recommended only for active dogs.