Large breed puppy food
When it comes to eating habits, puppies are like human babies. There are certain essential nutrients required for a balanced diet of a dog. Dog owners must be aware of the suitable foods for dogs growing in different stages. Remember that, if a puppy didn't get enough nutrients at a growing phase then the dog might suffer from chronic diseases.
We have hand-picked some of the leading brands with high ratings from the customer side. You can check out the key benefits of each brand and choose one among them that is too close to your expectations.
1. Iams large breed puppy food - Proactive healthy food for dogs
Iams aims at giving healthy food to the dog. About 95% of dog owners choose Iams large breed puppy food. If you want to know the quality and standard of the brand, just have a try and if unsatisfied, they lend your money back. Iams have carefully picked up some fresh chicken and made it a premium ingredient that is suitable for all breeds.
With a promise of having 81% animal protein with zero fillers and flavoring, Iams dog food can give a perfect balanced diet for dogs. The dog’s skin gets a shiny coat with omega 3 and 6. The highlight of the Iams food is the taurine supplement that helps to prevent heart disease like DCM. A little hard kibble food makes the dog’s teeth healthier. Iams vitality dog food is recommended for large breed puppies until 12 months of age.
|Weight in Ibs||30|
IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Smart Puppy Dry Dog Food with Real Chicken, 7 lb. Bag Pet Supplies
- Contains one (1) 7 lb. bag of IAMS Smart Puppy Dry Dog Food Chicken
- 1st ingredient is real, farm-raised chicken
- Promotes healthy cognition with omega-3 DHA for smarter, more trainable puppies
- Promotes strong muscles with quality protein
- Made with 22 key nutrients like those found in mother’s milk
- Veterinarians recommend IAMS
- Specially formulated dry puppy food meets the specific wellness and nutritional needs of puppies ... Read More
2. Purina Pro Plan Adult breed puppy food- chicken and rice formula
The crunchy kibbles poured out of the packet contain a high level of nutrients that is truly very helpful for a large breed dog’s strength. The base ingredient of Purina Pro Plan is chicken that contains protein and fat in the ratio of 26% and 12% respectively. The probiotics present in the food can improve the immune system. On the other hand, the prebiotic fiber nourishes intestinal bacteria and enhances the digestion process.
Like other brands, Purina Pro Plan adult breed takes chicken as the primary ingredient and this food is suitable for dogs weighing about 50 pounds. Nothing to worry about if the dog doesn't like the food, the flavor of the food definitely sticks to the tongue.
|Weight in Ibs||18|
Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Dog Food, Joint Health for Dogs Chicken & Rice Formula - 34 lb. Bag (Packaging may vary) Pet Supplies
- One (1) 34 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan High Protein, Digestive Health Large Breed Dry Dog Food, Chicken & Rice Formula
- Glucosamine and EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid, for joint health and mobility
- High protein promotes muscle conditioning when combined with proper exercise. No artificial colors or flavors
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health
- Used to be known as FOCUS Large Breed Formula ... Read More
3. Royal Canin Large Puppy Dog food - high protein content dry food
Gift a healthy day or your dog by feeding him with Royal Canin Large Puppy Dry dog food. The formulated food with high protein content and omega fatty acids supports the health of the little pup. This dry food is exclusively made for puppies weighing around 56- 100 Ibs. The blend of proteins and minerals gives strength to the muscle joints. In addition to this, the available antioxidants and vitamins boost the immune system. With primary ingredients as chicken along with other grains including corn, wheat, and chicken fat gives nourishment to the bones.
|Weight in Ibs||35|
Royal Canin Large Puppy Dry Dog Food, 35 Pounds Pet Supplies
- Royal Canin large puppy dry dog food (formerly Maxi Puppy) is tailor-made for large breed puppies with an expected adult weight of 56-100 pounds
- Promotes healthy growth for their bones and joints through a specialized blend of minerals
- Supports developing immune systems with an exclusive blend of antioxidants and vitamins
- Exclusive kibble design encourages puppies to chew thoroughly
- Highly digestible proteins and prebiotics help promote optimal digestive ... Read More
4. Eukanuba large breed puppy food - Chicken meal dry food
A right balanced food with the optimum amount of phosphorus and Calcium helps in muscle and bone development. The DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) present in omega 3 fatty acid helps in brain development. The balanced ratio of carbs and fats gives strength to the muscles and joints. A blend of prebiotics and fibers promotes better digestion. The key ingredient is Chicken that can make a good day for your dog. You can couple this dry food with other Eukanuba products like wet dog food and healthy extras. This puppy food is exclusively for large breeds weighing around 55 lbs with a feeding period of about 15 months.
|Weight in Ibs||33|
Eukanuba Puppy Large Breed Dry Dog Food, 33 pounds. Bag Pet Supplies
- Eukanuba puppy large breed dry dog food is complete and balanced nutrition for large breed puppies up to 15 months old with an expected adult weight over 55 pounds
- Supports muscle growth and bone health in active pups with high-quality animal protein and optimized levels of calcium and phosphorous
- Supports healthy brain development with clinically proven levels of DHA for smarter, more trainable puppies
- Provides concentrated energy from fat and carbohydrate levels ... Read More
5. Blue Buffalo Large breed puppy food - Chicken and Brown Rice recipe
The formulated food from Blue Buffalo life protection is for consistent growth development in a puppy dog. The DHA present in the kibbles takes care of the eye and brain development. As usual, the mandatory fatty acids omega 3 and 6 give a shining glow to the skin of the dog. The basic ingredients of the Blue Buffalo dry food are meat, grains, fruits, and veggies. An ample amount of calcium and Phosphorus strengthens the growing teeth of the puppy. A blend of super seven antioxidant ingredients can boost the immune system's functionality. The highlight of this large breed puppy food is that it is free from corn, soy, and wheat
|Brand||Blue Life Protection|
|Weight in Ibs||15|
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Puppy Large Breed Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice 15-lb Pet Supplies
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- FOR LARGE BREED PUPPIES: BLUE Life Protection Formula Large Breed Puppy Food supports healthy muscle growth and contains DHA and ARA (important fatty acids found in mother’s milk) to support cognitive function and retinal health
- A... Read More
6. Diamond Naturals Large Breed puppy food - formulated dry food
A high nutrition natural recipe made with lamb meal as the main ingredient is the Diamond Naturals Large breed dog food. Additionally, other ingredients like peas, papaya, garbanzo beans support the overall health of the little pup. No worries about the skin coat, fatty acids like omega 3 and 6 enhance the skin glow with a shining coat. The blend of probiotics and DHA supports the process of digestion and brain development respectively. One added advantage is that this recipe contains no grains like wheat, corn, and preservatives.
|Primary flavor||Lamb Meal|
|Weight in Ibs||6|
Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Puppy, Large Breed Lamb and Rice Formula, 40 Pound Bag Pet Supplies
- Contains Das for brain and eye development
- Antioxidant Formulation
- Balanced omega fatty acids for skin and coat ... Read More
In fact, different puppies must have different approaches and preferences. There are some guidelines that are specially framed for dog owners to get more clarity on feeding large breed puppies.
1. Whether your puppy is a purely large breed?
Before starting to create a nutrition chart, You must confirm the breed of your furry baby. Obviously, dogs' growth is unpredictable. A tiny pup that fits your hand size may have vigorous growth within a short span of time. So, it is mandatory to know how the dog’s body reacts to the food.
How can you identify a large breed dog? Dogs that generally weigh more than 70 pounds fall under the large breed puppy category. Mostly, the growing period is saturated when the puppy is two years old.
2. Feed your puppy in stages
During the younger days, dogs spend most of the time eating. Dogs are found hungry always and want more food. Especially, the large breed dogs may consume more food and end up putting on weight. This can lead to severe health issues.
This is the main reason why vets prescribe stage-based food for dogs. When your little pup is about 6 months of age, you can feed them 3-4 times a day. The time interval between each feeding session can give plenty of time for digestion and processing of food before the dog tastes the next meal.
After the completion of half a year, you can cut down the feeding session from four to two. Throughout adulthood, everything matters based on preference.
3. Monitor your large breed puppy growth
A variety of large breeds grow at different rates based on breed, size, appetite, etc. Experts say that it's quite normal for a newborn puppy to be fat. But the dog should thin as they grow older and get a healthy shape.
You evaluate the dog’s growth using the Body Condition Score (BCS). BCS is a scoring system in which you will get to know how good the shape of your dog is by referring to the ideal weight. Dogs getting a score between 1-3 are undernourished with a skinny appearance while dogs falling under the 6-9 range look over fat with bulge stomachs. The ideal rating for a healthy dog is 5. As a pet owner, your goal is to maintain the health of your dog throughout the growth period. When you hug your puppy, you must be able to feel the rib bone and get a clear top view of their waist behind the ribs.
4. Don't confuse yourself with too many supplements
A to Z Dog foods are available in all pet stores. Mainly, food for canines is meant for improving the parts of the body like skin, muscle joints but it doesn't mean that you can try out all the supplements. If you feed the dog with too many supplements, it can lead to the washing of existing nutrients and cause serious health hazards. Never think of replacing a balanced diet with supplements. Moreover, you must consult a vet before feeding anything to the puppy.
5. Prepare a nutrient-based chart for the large breed dog
The key factor for growing a healthy large breed puppy is to feed with balanced diet food. The rate of health issues is rapidly increasing since over-processed food like kibble can create many health problems.
The only solution to avoid food-related issues in a dog is to provide a balanced diet with the correct proportion of all vitamins and minerals like phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium.
Any breed you take, a considerable intake of fat can cause weight gain if your dog is addicted to eating. So, food control is very important for a dog to maintain its personality. Ensure that you don't cut down the essential nutrients while preparing a controlled food chart for your dog. It is best to feed the puppy at least five times a day but keep the food in very limited quantities.
Calcium to Phosphorus ratio
The calcium and phosphorus ratio plays a vital role in maintaining the health of the dog. The standard calcium to phosphorus ratio is 1:1. Please note that the calcium content must not exceed 1.2% as too much calcium content can cause hip dysplasia. Stunted growth in some of the large breed puppies is due to the deposition of excess calcium.
Choosing the apt food for your puppy is a challenge for dog owners. Food with excess calcium can cause numerous health-related issues. Therefore, be very careful while choosing the food. Don't forget to check out the label on the food brand to know the percentage of each ingredient. Moreover, physical health is determined by the food you choose to feed the pup. Read out the reviews and analyze the key benefits. Be very conscious while finalizing the food brand as it might leave the dog in risky health issues.